We are SO thankful that Hollywood has finally stopped their bigotry and made a few movies with LGBTQ+ representation. But the film industry has a long, long way to go if it's going to undo decades of cis-heteronormativity! Here are several classic moves that DESPERATELY need a reboot with better LGBTQ+ representation!
- Top Gun - the football scene in Maverick was a HUGE step backwards for LGBTQ+ voices. More volleyball and more body oil please!!!
- Braveheart - a movie supposedly about bravery and nobody comes out? Ridiculous.
- Saving Private Ryan - can we please just stop with the idea that Private Ryan needs saving? There's a little Private Ryan in all of us, and he just needs to hear he's perfect like he is!
- 12 Angry Men - ooo talk about some real tension in the jury room!
- Brokeback Mountain - so ignorant assuming two cowboys who ride off together must be gay, not even considering that one might identify as a woman! Get with the 21st century, Brokeback.
- Roots - how can you even talk about slavery without addressing those enslaved to heteronormativity?
- It's A Wonderful Life - oh it will be wonderful alright, when George Bailey abandons his family to live his truth! Slayyy!
- Avengers: Endgame - ughh they made Hawkeye so lame. Do better, Marvel!
- SAW - far too long have horror movies perpetuated the myth that deranged serial killers are all cisgender, heterosexual males.
- Ken Burn's Civil War documentary - get ready for a FABULOUS battle between the blue and gay!
It's not much, but it's a start, Hollywood!
Here is a comprehensive list of the only instances it is acceptable for men to shed a tear.